mvnForum Homepage

Print at Dec 17, 2014 9:09:58 PM
View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by JonGl at Dec 23, 2009 2:02:34 AM
Installing own modules
Nic-

I noticed on your blog that you talk about installing modules from the Crosswire sources, but you only mention installing from your hard drive.

I have a few Polish translations I need on my iPhone that are private (copyright), so can't be made public. Could you please do a tutorial on adding private modules? You have no idea what a blessing this would be to not only myself, but a bunch of people I know! Thanks.

I almost forgot to mention that I verified this by installing a ztext file just fine.

-Jon

Posted by Osk at Dec 23, 2009 11:07:37 AM
Re: Installing own modules
To install modules manually on the device:

1) Make sure you have your iPhone/iPod and the computer with your modules on the same (WiFi) network.
2) Zip the modules you want to install into a single Zip file using the format of a Raw ZIP download from CrossWire. (Grab a Raw ZIP download to see what this should look like.)
3) Start PocketSword.
4) Tab "More" in the lower right corner.
5) Tap "Preferences"
6) Turn "Module Maintainer Mode" on.
7) Go back to the "More" screen and tap "Downloads".
8) Tap the asterisk in the upper right corner.
9) Follow the instructions on screen, which will give you the address where you need to point your desktop browser.
10) Navigate to the that address and follow the instructions in your browser window to upload the text to the iPhone/iPod.

Posted by niccarter at Dec 24, 2009 1:09:53 AM
Thanks for replying Osk. :)

Those are the instructions, but please note that this method of installing modules is (fairly) unsupported.

That being said, I just blogged about how to do this:

http://crosswire.org/pocketsword/PocketSword/...y_Installing_Modules.html

Osk's instructions are extremely good, though, so I suggest you follow what he said and if you can't get it to work, then check out the blog post :)
If that doesn't work, come back here and ask further questions :)
----------------------------------------
PocketSword Developer
http://twitter.com/PocketSword

Posted by JonGl at Dec 24, 2009 3:18:15 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys.

However, upon trying this, I discovered a problem. It appears that PocketSword only supports z*files (ztext and zcom files).

Unfortunately, all my custom books were made as rawtext files. This was done several years by a friend I have lost touch with, who had Windows and made the modules for me. I never held on to the original files (they were on a hard drive that crashed, taking out my SoftWindows hard drive with it)

Are there any plans to support file formats other than z* files? Thanks.

-Jon

Posted by niccarter at Dec 24, 2009 7:23:54 AM
Ahh, do you mean they are in GenBook format? rawtext Bibles and Commentaries should work fine in PocketSword, but any GenBook modules won't work yet, as GenBook support hasn't been included yet.

Merry Christmas :)
PocketSword Developer

Posted by JonGl at Dec 25, 2009 5:45:06 AM
Ahh, do you mean they are in GenBook format? rawtext Bibles and Commentaries should work fine in PocketSword, but any GenBook modules won't work yet, as GenBook support hasn't been included yet.

Merry Christmas :)

And a very Merry Christmas to you!

No, these are Bible texts, and on the desktop, in the modules folder structure, they are in texts/rawtext/.

I must confess, I haven't been idle. This morning (yes, Christmas morning), while watching my family enjoy their presents, I decided to do some playing.

I must say up front that what I'm about to describe is not for the faint of heart, and if one messes up, one could end up bricking one's iPhone--so don't do it.

If the mods deem my post to be not proper, please feel free to delete it. ;-)

But I've jailbroken my phone (I got ripped off by an online seller who portrayed the iphone as factory unlocked, but it was jailbroken at 3.0.1, and unlocked from Swiss Orange[I believe]), so I was forced to upgrade and jailbreak it. Since it was jailbroken, I've installed Netatalk to browse my iPhone from my Mac. I found where PocketSword installs its modules:
/var/mobile/Applications/{abunchofmuck}/Library/Caches/

I dropped my Polish Bible conf files into mods.d, and into ./modules/texts, created a new folder, named "rawtext" and dropped my Polish modules into there. When I opened PocketSword, there they were! So I guess it is just your unzipping algorithm just doesn't understand what to do with the rawtext folders. (My rawtext folders have four files in them: ot, ot.vss, nt, nt.vss.

Well, in any case, I'm happy to have my modules working, and wish you the greatest success in your continuing work on PocketSword! I'm looking to see great progress on it, and am willing to help in any way my non-programmer abilities can be of assistance (beta testing, or if necessary, documentation, etc.) I'm a big fan of the Sword Project, and have it on all my computers, as my primary Bible soft. Thanks for your hard work and great effort in bringing it to the iPhone!

-Jon

Posted by niccarter at Dec 26, 2009 7:40:37 PM
It would seem that your zip archive wasn't in the correct format, then. Inside the zip file there should be 2 base folders: the "mods.d" folder & the "modules" folder. The zip archive should be of the "rawzip" zip format (as opposed to some other types of "zip" compression) and the folder structure should be correct as well.

FYI, I have installed "rawtext" modules via zip archives uploaded to PocketSword with no issues.
Also, please note that this method is fairly unsupported: not only does the folder structure within the zip archive have to be correct, but if you use some commercial ZIP archivers (for example, this hasn't been tested with archives created with WinZip) it may not work. This is why the CrossWire modules available in "zip" format in the CrossWire repository (available at http://crosswire.org/ftpmirror/pub/sword/packages/ ) are available in both "win" form and "rawzip" format, I believe?

I'm glad you got this to work -- however, I wouldn't suggest any other people jailbreak their iPhones in order to install modules this way! :)

God Bless, and I'm glad PocketSword is useful for you :)
Please PM me with your email address and your iPhone's UDID if you are interested in beta testing - the next beta should come out in mid-January :)
PocketSword Developer

Posted by jdhardin at Dec 29, 2009 1:26:17 PM
Dear Nic,

Thanks a ton for working on PocketSword. I think I've got similar ZIP archive structure issues, as I can install a rawzip (e.g., ASV) locally, but not my own modules. These same modules will install via anon ftp using Macsword or Sword for Windows, so they 're basically right...

Do you have a specific ZIp program you recommend? I'm using Mac OS X (Snow Leopard).

Merry Christmas!

Jeff

Posted by JonGl at Dec 29, 2009 2:34:53 PM
angry   Re: Installing own modules
Dear Nic,

Thanks a ton for working on PocketSword. I think I've got similar ZIP archive structure issues, as I can install a rawzip (e.g., ASV) locally, but not my own modules. These same modules will install via anon ftp using Macsword or Sword for Windows, so they 're basically right...

Do you have a specific ZIp program you recommend? I'm using Mac OS X (Snow Leopard).

Merry Christmas!

Jeff

I think that what Nic means about proper format here, is the proper folder structure. I think that your zip utility needs to both store and unzip into the same folder structure. The bult-in MacOS zip utility (right-click or control-click on the folder you want to zip, and choose "Compress" in the popup menu (at least that's what it's called in Leopard. It has another name, but you should easily figure that out). Of course, it's entirely likely that you already have been doing this, and know what you are doing as far as zipping...

So next comes the folder structure...

You need two top-level folders:

mods.d and modules

Inside modules, you need another, named texts. Inside that, you need one named rawtext. Inside that folder, is where you put your modules.

Here's a summary:

your folder/mods.d/YourConfigFile.conf
your folder/modules/texts/rawtext/YourBibleText/*

BTW, when I zipped mine, I later realized my mistake. I forgot to add the /texts folder. Oops. blushing

-Jon

Posted by niccarter at Dec 29, 2009 6:46:53 PM
Ahh, ok, I create mine using Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6.x) using the built-in "Compress" functionality, as described by Jon.

An example of the structure that should be inside your ZIP file is at http://crosswire.org/pocketsword/img/module-zip-structure.png
I have generated this using http://macitbetter.com/BetterZip-Quick-Look-Generator

Perhaps you could download that quick-look plugin (which I really like and advise you install cause it's quite nice (and free!), adding some quite handy functionality to Mac OS X) and compare how your ZIP archive looks compared to the one I have linked above?
Note in particular that the 2 base folders in the zip are the "mods.d" and "modules" folders, so in Mac OS X, you need to select both those folders and then right-click (or ctrl-click) and choose "Compress 2 Items" to create the ZIP archive of the correct folder structure :)

Given that this "unsupported" feature has caused the most number of headaches since release, I'm going to try to make this code more intelligent so as to try to eliminate these! :)

[EDIT: wanted to point out that the plugin is free]
PocketSword Developer