mvnForum Homepage

Print at Nov 27, 2014 5:03:51 AM View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by jovanni at Aug 21, 2009 6:35:51 PM
Fonts for Japanese Texts
When displaying japanese bible texts ( e.g. japKougo .. ) , it seems that Xiphos 3.1 for windows is using ugly fonts and it is hard to read it.
Perhaps Xiphos is using a bitmap fonts.
Are there any options to select fonts to display bible texts?
From the 'preference' menu, I can select color and size , but can not select font family ( like MS Mincho ).

Posted by ransom1982 at Aug 21, 2009 8:14:43 PM
Re: Fonts for Japanese Texts
You are correct that Xiphos is using a bitmap font for Japanese by default. You can change this by right-clicking anywhere in the module content, going to Module Options, and Font. Then you select whatever you like. See also 3.4.5 Module Options in the help file.

Please let me know how this works. Also, I'd like to know a good default font for Japanese that either comes on Windows by default (at least for Japanese versions of Windows), or is freely available somewhere. If you can help me, we can make the default much better for Xiphos.

Posted by jovanni at Aug 22, 2009 4:06:33 PM
> You can change this by right-clicking anywhere in the module content, going to Module Options, and Font.

Thanks! This works well.

> Also, I'd like to know a good default font for Japanese that either comes on Windows by default (at least for Japanese versions of Windows)

I think the good default font for Japanese is MS Mincho, but any of MS PMincho, MS Gothic, MS PGothic, MS UI Gothic is also acceptable. All of these fonts are included in the Japanese versions of Windows.

> or is freely available somewhere.

If license matters, IPA fonts ( not included in the Windows, but freely available from http://ossipedia.ipa.go.jp/ipafont/ ) may be a good choice.

Posted by ransom1982 at Aug 25, 2009 3:13:57 PM
Thanks for the info. FWIW, the next version of Xiphos will be much improved in this area, including faster rendering for Japanese. So make sure you try it out when we release (will be in a couple of months). If you sign up for our users' mailing list, (see Help->Mailing List), you will get notified when the release is done. Also, you'll get faster responses to questions there than here.

Matthew