mvnForum Homepage

Print at Dec 22, 2014 10:08:36 AM View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by EnthusOcn at Jun 9, 2009 5:12:15 AM
confused   Using e-Sword modules?
Is it possible for me to use an eSword module or convert an e-Sword module?

I don't personally like the NIV all that much, but it's so popular I like to use it in a parrallel bible so I know what other people are seeing when they read certain passages. I notice that you can buy it for e-Sword at http://estudysource.com/platform/site/product/products.aspx?pid=B0011 and I was wondering if it would be possible to use it in Linux?

Thanks everyone!

Posted by EnthusOcn at Jun 9, 2009 6:01:06 AM
Re: Using e-Sword modules?
Oh, I understand that that e-Sword of totally different the BibleTime or the SWORD Project, I just wanted to know if I could convert.

Or if there's another way to get the NIV.

Posted by Osk at Jun 9, 2009 12:42:14 PM
No, there's no compatibility and to my knowledge, with the change in e-Sword's format, there's not even the possibility of conversion.

Posted by qduaty at Sep 13, 2010 12:45:35 PM
The new e-sword format is sqlite3. I have written a ModDrv for its Bible files, which works reliably on WinMo 6.1 (with SlideBible), and I'm willing to contribute it.

Posted by ransom1982 at Sep 16, 2010 3:33:26 PM
qduaty, some others wrote a driver for the previous e-sword file format and were threatened with lawsuits. So, unless something changes, it probably isn't going to be possible to include it officially.

Posted by qduaty at Sep 18, 2010 6:13:39 AM
Well, I am in Europe lol ;) There is no lawsuits horror here. And my goal was to support dozens of free Bible translations that happen to be released in (a free) sqlite3 format only. My file handler only supports free files and it does not break any protection schemes, simply because it does not know about them.

Anyway, the patch is here: http://s1010.chomikuj.pl/File.aspx?id=3582912...046&name=sword-1.diff

Posted by pneaveill at Sep 23, 2010 7:49:52 AM
gduaty,

The link appears to be dead

Posted by qduaty at Sep 23, 2010 4:26:30 PM
Try this one:

http://s1010.chomikuj.pl/File.aspx?id=3582912...326&name=sword-1.diff

Posted by Osk at Oct 13, 2010 7:38:21 PM
Moved thread to General Discussion

Posted by Osk at Oct 13, 2010 7:54:39 PM
Adding support for sqlite3 modules wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea. But there are some issues to consider, such as significantly different ideas of versification/canon between Sword & e-Sword. We'd also need to contemplate whether/how to support other content types (dictionaries, etc.).

Supporting unencrypted e-Sword content essentially amounts to supporting user-created e-Sword content. The take-away from Jonathan Blake's BibleTech 2010 talk was that almost ALL user-created e-Sword content is essentially copyright-infringing. So it may not serve Sword's long-term goals to support this format.