mvnForum Homepage

Print at Oct 31, 2014 7:04:31 PM View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by NorrinRadd at May 10, 2009 9:41:49 PM
ISV
Unless I'm missing something, the ISV module has not been updated in quite a while. Are there plans to release a current version any time soon?

How about a module that is not "NT-only"? ISV.org has *most* of the OT (i.e., all but Isaiah) available for free download in .doc format. The whole thing should (in theory) be available by "mid-Summer of 2009." Any chance of a Sword version soon after?

Posted by Osk at Jun 24, 2009 11:19:51 PM
Re: ISV
I would like to update the ISV. However, between our current release and their more recent releases, the ISV Foundation changed the license under which they publish the ISV so that it is not so freely redistributed.

If an updated edition of the ISV is important to you I would recommend (and welcome) your involvement in contacting the ISV Foundation regarding licensing to CrossWire/The SWORD Project.

Posted by NorrinRadd at Jun 28, 2009 3:39:43 AM
I would like to update the ISV. However, between our current release and their more recent releases, the ISV Foundation changed the license under which they publish the ISV so that it is not so freely redistributed.

Unfortunate. sad

And strange, given that Sword Project is oriented to Open Source, and the ISV explicitly bills itself as virtually an "Open Source" Bible translation.

If an updated edition of the ISV is important to you I would recommend (and welcome) your involvement in contacting the ISV Foundation regarding licensing to CrossWire/The SWORD Project.

Done -- Not that they have any big reason to listen to me.

Posted by jonmmorgan at Jun 30, 2009 4:59:42 AM
The change is just that it cannot be freely redistributed without permission. That is not unusual for translations, though I would prefer it otherwise.

The ISV is not open source in the sense that it can be changed by anyone, and I'm glad of it. While it's not impossible that a user edited translation could produce reasonable results, I doubt you can give a translation of God's word sufficient authority if anyone could change anything about it.