mvnForum Homepage

Print at Dec 25, 2014 11:40:23 PM
Posts: 116   Pages: 12   [ Previous Page | 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 | Next Page ]
View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by mdbergmann at Aug 22, 2009 4:27:01 AM
Re: MacSword 2 beta announcement
Here is my idea of what the fullscreen mode should be when finished. ...

That's all good ideas. However this means quite some work and will need some time.

By the way, would it be possible to implement an index-free method of searching? It can be used very successfully, like it is for file searching in EasyFind.

That's possible but slow.
Finding all occurences of a search string in a whole bible takes as long as indexing. The difference between looking for one occurence and all is that for all the whole bible text needs to be searched. There would be some algorithms which reduce the search time from linear to log something for when you want to look for one occurence.
And then you have to implement your own algorithm for logical operators, group and phrase search options which SearchKit already has.

• If I go into fullscreen in a Workspace (not a single view), and I have more than one reference up in tabs, the right column will reset to a program set default width when I switch tabs, while the left column remains where I set it.

This is also in windowed mode. Noted.

• More info on that "default bible" issue: Turns out I still have the issue with the bible I select as default not being the one that opens by default in new windows/tabs. I have concluded that MacSword is choosing based on alphabetical order of bible text names. I had only the Geneva1599 Bible and KJV (KJV set as default in prefs), and the Geneva1599 always came first. I uninstalled the Geneva1599 and installed the Wesley Bible, and KJV came first, naturally. Then I reinstalled the Geneva1599 to complete the test of this bug, and naturally the Geneva1599 came first in every new window and tab once again.

Internally all modules are in a list which is sorted for name and then the first module of that list was taken.
Fixed.

• If you resize the window really thin, the chapter/verse navigation buttons will layer underneath the menus in the toolbar, rather than disappearing and being replaced with a menu listing the hidden buttons. The text menus will also simply disappear when you resize the window narrow enough. Also, if you resize the window thin enough that the sidebars overlap and expand the window back, the verse button will be cropped off the edge (more cropped if you overlapped the sidebars more), and the scroll bar for the chapter list will be missing. To restore the buttons and scroll bar, you need to open a new window or relaunch MacSword.

Changing controls, for example making a menu out of the book/chapter buttons, when they can't be displayed means lots of work which could go someplace else.
I have set a minimum window size which fixes those issues for now.

Weird, I've been using MacSword more than I've done any other computer stuff today... That's me, the beta software addict. (Would you believe I once found a big bug in a commercially released Mac board game, and got myself free access to the preview releases of the next version because of it? True story.) laughing

It's good to have people testing like you. As developer you normally don't really see all the small issues of software you did yourself.

Regards,
Manfred

Posted by chasm at Aug 22, 2009 4:45:41 AM
Here is my idea of what the fullscreen mode should be when finished. ...

That's all good ideas. However this means quite some work and will need some time.

You don't have to do it all... You asked me what I thought of the fullscreen mode in general, and then I answered and got carried away with my ideas. Once I gave so many ideas to a developer who was making a freeware game, and he ended up making it into a shareware game instead. Another true story. laughing

That's possible but slow.
Finding all occurences of a search string in a whole bible takes as long as indexing. The difference between looking for one occurence and all is that for all the whole bible text needs to be searched. There would be some algorithms which reduce the search time from linear to log something for when you want to look for one occurence.
And then you have to implement your own algorithm for logical operators, group and phrase search options which SearchKit already has.

Yeah, I guess so. I'm not a developer (yet), so I'll take your word for it. tongue

It's good to have people testing like you. As developer you normally don't really see all the small issues of software you did yourself.

Regards,
Manfred
Just glad to use your software. Best thing since Online Bible, and I don't need Rosetta to use it. :)
----------------------------------------
<this signature intentionally left blank>

Posted by chasm at Aug 28, 2009 10:54:14 PM
*lurks forums for days without any sign of activity*

*detects a new version of MacSword*

*activates*

And suddenly, I'm back to talk about the newest update to MacSword. Miss me? :)

(Now in Categorized Crits™)
------

Sidebars

Bugs

• The right sidebar still has a mind of its own, and will resize to a default width whenever you open/close/switch a tab in a Workspace window.

• Sidebar widths reset to defaults when MacSword closes.

• The sidebars "scale" their widths between fullscreen and windowed mode. If I resize the sidebars to "just right" in windowed, they are too wide in fullscreen, and if I resize the sidebars in fullscreen to be "just right", they are too narrow in windowed. (yikes, that sounded like Goldilocks was testing this)

• Whenever I open a new window or launch MacSword, the sidebars roll out to their default widths with a Core Graphics flair. Nice effect, but I still have to adjust them every time to make the best use of window space.

Windows and layouts

Bugs

• The minimum window width is fine for Reference Lookup, but in Index Lookup, the disclosure triangle for TextContext overlaps the left Book arrow.

• The "All", "None", and "Invert" buttons don't work when "All" in the pull-down menu above the books of the Bible is selected. This seems intentional, and it makes sense. Perhaps dim the buttons to make it more obvious? I had forgotten that I had left "All" selected when I was testing this layout, and I wondered why those buttons weren't working...

• The new adjustable margins don't adjust. While the default margins are there (and improve some of the "crowded" feel of the previous version), any new values entered into the prefs are not saved.

Suggestions

• Make the lines for adjustable margins visible when the cursor hovers over them for a second, and adjustable by click-and drag, such that if the left margin is adjusted, the right margin mirrors the change, and vice versa with top/bottom margins.

• Make the sidebars of equal height, possibly by expanding the top bar. This would probably make auto-hide effects smoother-looking (if they are implemented)

• Better yet, a redesign of the interface. Put the Lookup Mode toggle and search field into the right sidebar, and put all the module options and book/chapter navigation in the title bar, eliminating the double top bars. In the Workspace, tabs could take on the tabs-on-top feel that Safari 4 Beta had, and in fullscreen, they would be bottom-tabs that attach under the module options and stuff, and auto-hide into the top of the screen when not needed. Also in fullscreen, the cursor would hide after a delay, and trackpad scrolling would not necessarily make the cursor reappear.

Where do the Lookup mode Toggle and search filed go in the right sidebar? The toggle could go in the top center, and the search field under it. When in Reference Lookup, the books of the bible /module chapters display, and in Index Lookup, the search tools show. The text in the main window need not change unless an action takes place in the sidebar. If scripture is up and Index Lookup is launched, the scripture will not be affected until a search is entered and the results display. Vice versa with search results and Reference Lookup.

Mockup (made in Pages, believe it or not):

Posted by chasm at Aug 28, 2009 10:55:47 PM
(Sorry double post, but the forum wouldn't let me post the whole thing in one post...)
-----
Indexing/Search

Fixed

• YAY! It worketh now! Not right away, but I did get it to work by first letting it auto-index, deleting the indexes, and letting it run again. I must also say that the indexing speed seemed greatly improved, but it could just be inconsequential.

Feature Requests (most mentioned before, but to put them together)

• No limit on text size, or more font-size options. Especially on larger widescreen displays, bigger font is helpful.

• Separate settings for font size for fullscreen and windowed, as mentioned before.

• Auto-hide of sidebars and toolbar in fullscreen. These would by default be hidden, and overlay over the text when activated (or scale the text, which could slow things down... overlay would work fine). The sidebars and the toolbar would not necessarily pop out of hiding instantly when the cursor moves to them (unlike the Dock), but could stand to wait half a second just in case the user didn't really want or need the sidebars yet. Also, having the cursor disappear when not in use would be great as well.

• Multi-touch trackpad support for text size (a wish, not a need).

• Adjustable margins that can be adjusted manually in the window.

• Options to change font alignment, and chapter/book heading colors. Why font alignment? When I have two or more translations side by side in the same window, center align might make the text easier to read. Also, suppose someone in the Middle East likes to read their MacSword bible in Arabic, and wants to read right to left... (I'm not Middle Eastern, just thought I'd mention them)

• Cross-referencing by clicking on verse numbers like links to go to a Cross Reference display. (Just another wish)

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the default bible issue is resolved. Thanks! :)

-------

Okay, I'm done for now. Within a week or two, I will have Snow Leopard, so I will do another volley of tests on MacSword then. For now, I will resume lurking around invisibly...

Posted by transalpin at Aug 29, 2009 4:53:45 AM
Hello! Thanks for providing such great app!
Allow me to add a few suggestions for improvement:

- For those of us working with different languages, more font options would be welcome! The user.css file in previous versions was a viable way to accomplish that, but I’d prefer an option that lets us specify a different font for each module: New Peninim for Hebrew, some Gothic typeface for Wulfila, Schwabacher blackletter for Lut1545lh, BiauKai for Trad.Chinese, etc.

- The beta didn’t recognize existing modules, I had to reinstall them, which wasn’t all that intuitive. Maybe the app should open the Module Installer automatically if no modules are available to work with.
- Modules should be installed one by one, pressing a simple button “Install” next to the module’s name. Much like downloading songs from the iTunes Store.
- Please, please display a processing bar while indexing to give the user some clue of what’s going on and for how long.
- In column view, “Found n verse(s)” takes up too much space and shows the same number of verses for every module (even in empty columns). It should therefore be moved to the grey options bar above or elsewhere for minimal use of screen estate.
- “Show/Hide” could read “Show” and “Hide” respectively, if this is easily possible.
- Basically, counters are a good thing, but these look a bit like the counters for unread emails in Mail or new podcast episodes in iTunes—the ones that you would want to get rid of.

Some bugs:
- If you want to bring an obscured prefs window to the front via MacSword > Preferences (cmd+,) a second prefs window appears while the first one remains in the background. Also, prefs don’t need an OK button in Mac OS X.
- Switching the “search type” resets the search field.
- Links in search results don’t work.
- “Cancel” button cannot be accessed via esc key.
- Full Screen mode cannot be escaped via esc key. Cmd+Tab don’t work either.

Posted by mdbergmann at Aug 29, 2009 12:48:21 PM
Uff. Guys, you keep me busy. :)
I'm away until Wednesday next week, so don't expect answers until then.

Posted by mdbergmann at Aug 29, 2009 2:19:22 PM
Ok, I still have some time before leaving...
Thanks you two for your feedback. It is much appreciated.

I have put many of your input into the issue tracker so I can work on them and they don't get lost.

@chasm:

Options to change font alignment

What do you mean by "font alignment".
Hebrew and Arabic text is display in RtoL automatically.

@transalpin:

The beta didn’t recognize existing modules, I had to reinstall them, which wasn’t all that intuitive. Maybe the app should open the Module Installer automatically if no modules are available to work with.

I got a few reports that modules were not recognized from the previous version. The problem is I can't reproduce this at all and I suspect that it might be one or only a few modules that are not compatible with the new SWORD version. But I'm not sure about this.
When opening a new, empty workspace window in the latest version the number of installed modules should be displayed and a button to open the module installer.
But you are right, the module installer isn't at all intuitive. I'm thinking of changing it completely.
But I'd like to have the option to select more modules to install/remove/update. If the left sidebar is structured in installed/available/updateable modules the a simple checkbox can be used.

Please, please display a processing bar while indexing to give the user some clue of what’s going on and for how long.

I actually like the intermediate progress indicator which is shown but I understand that it might be better to show a real progress.

Switching the “search type” resets the search field.

Are you sure? It works here.

Links in search results don’t work.

Yes, they work but by default the verse is shown as preview or tooltip. You can right-click on the link to open it in a separate window/tab.

- “Cancel” button cannot be accessed via esc key.
- Full Screen mode cannot be escaped via esc key. Cmd+Tab don’t work either.

No, is esc default for cancel or return from full-screen?

Regards,
Manfred

Posted by transalpin at Aug 29, 2009 4:03:29 PM
Thank you for the quick response, sorry for the flood of requests.

- links as tooltip: sorry, right-clicking didn’t occur to me. Why not left?

- The search field behaviour is a little unintuitive, but maybe I just have to get used to it. New users will probably 1) enter a search term, 2) notice that they’re in the wrong search mode, 3) toggle, 4) re-enter the search term and hit enter/return.
I also found it annoying that when you switch back to the previous search mode, each of the open columns in the tab jumps back and loads previous search results.

- I guess, an indexing progress bar is less important if only one or two bibles are installed at a time. I had it coming with a total of more than 50 modules. The cool guys want ’em all. ;)

- Specify different fonts for different modules: any word on that? Hope that will make it into v.2.0.

Thanks a lot for listening!

Cheers,
Georg

PS, I experienced a kernel panic today which may or may not be related to MacSword.

Posted by chasm at Aug 29, 2009 7:45:38 PM
@Manfred:

Didn't yet know about the automatic right-to-left on text for Hebrew and Aramaic, but I was asking simply about font alignment. As it is now, the font appears to always be aligned to the left side of the window. Having the option to make it center aligned or right aligned (like in a word processing document) may be helpful in some situations.

@Georg:

Go to Console in /Applications/Utilities and look for the PanicReporter (under /Library/Logs in the left sidebar). You might be able to figure out if MacSword caused the kernel panic. Alternatively, you can copy/paste into a PM to me and I can try to figure out if MacSword caused your kernel to panic. In the mean time, I suggest a good counselor could help your kernel not panic so much when around God's Word. :)

Posted by Dale at Sep 3, 2009 4:37:36 PM
Manfred, is there a reason my single modules are no longer re-sizable? I keep several open and now they really overlap. Just happened the other day??

Dale
“The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest." Luke 10:2

Posts: 116   Pages: 12   [ Previous Page | 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 | Next Page ]