mvnForum Homepage

Print at Dec 27, 2014 11:43:05 AM View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by explorer716 at Feb 22, 2009 12:55:10 PM
How do I install modules on Ubunbu 8.10?
I am running a PC with Ubuntu 8.10 and I need instructions on how to install the zip modules I downloaded from this site. In your reply, please take into consideration that I am a "newbie".

Thank you in advance.

Posted by ransom1982 at Feb 22, 2009 3:33:04 PM
Re: How do I install modules on Ubunbu 8.10?
All of the modules available on this site are available through the module manager inside the program, from the remote source CrossWire. Please use the module manager to install these modules. If you can't for whatever reason, please send a message to gnomesword-users@lists.sourceforge.net asking how to install a zipped module.

Matthew

Posted by jonmmorgan at Feb 23, 2009 5:29:43 AM
All of the modules available on this site are available through the module manager inside the program, from the remote source CrossWire. Please use the module manager to install these modules. If you can't for whatever reason, please send a message to gnomesword-users@lists.sourceforge.net asking how to install a zipped module.

I'm afraid I don't agree with Matthew, and think that zipped modules are a reasonably important distribution mechanism for all sorts of purposes. Basically, they contain the module contents zipped up, and should be unzipped into the right location. For most purposes, this will be ~/.sword (NB: this will require that you downloaded raw zips - if you didn't, module manager will probably be easier).

mkdir -p ~/.sword
unzip -d ~/.sword <zip file>

should work (create ~/.sword if it doesn't exist, then unzip the module into the ~/.sword directory).

Posted by gichurch at Feb 23, 2009 9:10:32 AM
Yes, you can install modules the way Jon suggests. It is just not a way we encourage as the module manager is a lot more useful - it will check whether any of your modules are out of date and do a lot of other things too.

For that reason GnomeSword/Xiphos does have a module manager since yonks.

Posted by ransom1982 at Mar 11, 2009 8:03:26 AM
Jon,

I'm not sure what you're not agreeing with, because I never said (nor do I believe) that zip modules aren't a valid distribution method. It's just better to use the module manager unless there are valid reasons not to.

Matthew