mvnForum Homepage

Print at Aug 21, 2014 9:04:12 PM View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by Simon at Jan 30, 2009 12:51:19 PM
Making modules
Is it difficult to make new modules for MacSword?
I have no experience of writing computer programs, but I have tried the basics of html.
Would there be any use for me trying to create a new module?

Simon

Posted by mdbergmann at Jan 30, 2009 1:20:38 PM
Re: Making modules
Hi Simon.

In out Wiki is some more information about creating modules.
http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/Main_Page

Regards,
Manfred

Posted by gichurch at Jan 31, 2009 4:22:08 AM
It depends what you want to do. Importing a badly encoded Bible text might be hard work. Creating an image/map module would be totally straight forward.

If you know HTML then you will understand many of our modules easily.

There have been a whole bunch of module ideas floating about which no one had time to implement

Peter

Posted by Simon at Feb 5, 2009 10:37:11 AM
I want to take a Bible text, which I have on my computer, and make a macsword module from it. I have started to use the OSIS Users Manual from Bible Technologies and progressing slowly.
I will write again if I get any trouble :-)

Simon

Posted by Simon at Feb 12, 2009 11:12:05 AM
confused   I can't get the headings to work properly
confused
Hello again.
I hope someone has the patience to help me.

I have started to try to code a new module, using the OSIS language and the editor jEdit.
The Bible text I am using has lots of headers (non-canonical) in the text. I want to use those headers in the module, so I checked the OSIS instructions on the wiki, and the OSIS manual from Bible Technologies.
I have tried using the <title></title> tag, but the headings doesn't show in MacSword, even after I have used "Show/hide headers" under the Format menu.
I have also tried giving the <title> tag various attributes, such as type="section", type="sub" and canonical="false". It didn't make the headers work either.
To make the matter more frustrating: once the headers did show up in MacSword, but I can't remember how I had written the tags. If I didn't know better I would say that I hadn't changed anything when the header didn't show up next time.

Every time I have changed something in the module I have tried showing and hiding the headers in MacSword, to try to show the headers.

I know MacSword can show headers, because I have seen them in the KJV module. In that module, the headers are placed at the top of every chapter.
Is it impossible to place headers in the middle of chapters?

Please help...

Simon

Posted by Simon at Feb 12, 2009 1:49:55 PM
shock   Re: I can't get the headings to work properly
If I use the "level" attribute to the <title> (<title level=1>Jesus frestas</title>) I finally get the headers to show in MacSword. I can show them and hide them.
However, all text following the header turns into the same style as the header (bold), which I don't want it to. It is as if osis2mod or MacSword doesn't recognize the end </title> tag.

Does anybody know what is wrong?

Simon

Posted by gichurch at Feb 12, 2009 4:12:38 PM
Re: I can't get the headings to work properly
Simon,

Please join the mailing list sword-devel. You will find a much larger number of developers who will be able to help you.

Posted by Simon at Feb 15, 2009 7:18:14 AM
Re: I can't get the headings to work properly
Allright, I'll do that.
Thank you.

Simon

Posted by Simon at Feb 15, 2009 1:44:29 PM
The solution!
peace
For everyone else who encountered this problem, the solution is this.
To write a header which can be shown and hidden with sword, you write like this:

<div type="section"><title>A heading</title></div>

If you want a blank line above the header (when shown) you write like this:

<div type="section"><title><p/>A heading</title></div>

At least it works with MacSword. However, when I tried the module with the windows Sword program, the headings appeared twice.

Simon