mvnForum Homepage

Print at Sep 18, 2014 8:50:48 AM View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by rotorblades at Jan 20, 2009 10:13:40 PM
confused   Newbie - GnomeSword install on Fedora
Hi -- I'm new to Linux, using Fedora 10 and new to GnomeSword. I have successfully installed Fedora 10 and would like to install GnomeSword as my first application.

I think I've installed the SWORD API correctly and am now trying to install GnomeSword using the instructions in the compressed file. The instructions seem to say that the simplest way to compile this package is:

1. `cd' to the directory containing the package's source code and type
`./configure' to configure the package for your system.

Running `configure' might take a while. While running, it prints
some messages telling which features it is checking for.

*** i've run this and it gets most of the way through, but the last message is something to the effect, "SWORD - no", most other messages answered "yes" ***

2. Type `make' to compile the package.

*** when I run this, I get numerous errors; the remaining instructions don't work either ***

Is there anywhere I can go to get better instructions or is there someone out there who might be able to help me through this install (I'm a fairly savvy with Windows, but being that Linux is new, I have a lot to learn!).

Thanks.

Posted by ransom1982 at Jan 20, 2009 11:27:23 PM
Re: Newbie - GnomeSword install on Fedora
If configure is saying "SWORD no", then SWORD isn't installed correctly. Did you run "make install" after building SWORD?

The best place to get help for this is on IRC (#gnomesword). If you're unfamiliar with IRC, just click this link http://embed.mibbit.com/?server=irc.freenode.net&channel=%23gnomesword , enter a name for yourself, and click "click to join chatroom".

If you want to skip compiling completely, you can download the latest binaries here http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/10/i386/

Matthew

Posted by gichurch at Jan 21, 2009 2:37:03 AM
Re: Newbie - GnomeSword install on Fedora
Gnomesword is in your repositories. You do not need to compile it.

Our compile instructions are basically there for people who run really off-the-wall distributions or for people who like to participate in the further development.

Posted by rotorblades at Jan 21, 2009 6:51:01 AM
biggrin   Re: Newbie - GnomeSword install on Fedora
Thanks for the reply. I was actually just coming here to post that I found it -- you're right, in the repositories. I was browsing through Fedora trying to find an install utility of some sort and found the project repositories and after a bit of searching found it. The install went very smoothly after that.

Again, thanks for the reply!biggrin

Posted by rotorblades at Jan 21, 2009 6:53:35 AM
biggrin   Re: Newbie - GnomeSword install on Fedora
Thanks for the reply. You're right, SWORD didn't install correctly. I did some more browsing in Fedora and being that it is using the Gnome Desktop, I did some searching on my install and it turns out this program, as well as many others, were already available for install.

Again, thanks for the reply! It's gonna be fun learning to navigate Linux and Fedora.

biggrin