mvnForum Homepage

Print at Nov 24, 2014 7:02:07 PM View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by centipeed at Jun 15, 2008 12:36:33 AM
Accessing bible texts in Python
I'm (probably) going to be working extensively with the SWORD bible text modules at some point in the future, because my final year dissertation project is based on them.

I was wondering if there is information available as to the structure and format of the bible texts you offer that work with the SWORD project?

Also, is it possible to access these files through a program coded in, say, Python, as opposed to the C++ the original SWORD for Windows program is created in?

Posted by ransom1982 at Jun 15, 2008 3:16:08 PM
Re: Accessing bible texts in Python
You might check out Bpbible which is written in Python using the swig bindings. bpbible.com.

Other info can be found on the wiki www.crosswire.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page.

Posted by dmsmith at Jun 21, 2008 5:05:49 AM
Re: Accessing bible texts in Python
With regard to the structure and format of the Bible texts, we do not publish this information. Though it is not documented in the code, it is freely available for anyone who can study the code.

We have several reasons for this, but ultimately they boil down to:

• We want to encourage collaboration for the development and use of the SWORD engine. It seems that many people want to write their own application from scratch, to port the SWORD C++ code to their own favorite programing language (perl, python, .net, c#, ....).

That is why we have a swig binding for other languages to use the one engine.

We also have an implementation in Java.

• We want to encourage the usage of original sources for Biblical material. In so far as possible, when we create a module, we try to obtain original e-texts. If/When we find errors we work with the maintainer of the original source to fix those errors. And as the maintainer improves the quality and/or scope of the e-text, we rebuild our modules from them.

In order to help and encourage you with your dissertation, we'd need more information concerning it. The forum is not an easy place for such a discussion. See our contact page for other ways to reach us. I'd suggest sword-support e-mail or irc.