mvnForum Homepage

Print at Jul 13, 2014 9:47:47 AM View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by DrMeers at Jun 9, 2008 5:29:26 PM
Albert Barnes' Notes on the OLD TESTAMENT?
I'm using GnomeSword on Ubuntu, and am wondering why there isn't a Barnes Notes on the Old Testament module -- only one for the New Testament? e-Sword has a free "Albert Barnes' Notes on the Bible" module which includes both OT and NT (link).

Does anyone know why the Barnes OT Commentary is not available as a SWORD module?

I'm also a software developer, and would be happy to take on this work if it is just a question of someone putting one together. I understand from the FAQ that we're discouraged from converting e-Sword (for example) modules into SWORD ones in case copyright issues are breached -- otherwise I'd have started already.

If it is possible/legal for me to make one, can anyone direct me in the correct way of going about it?

Posted by dmsmith at Jun 10, 2008 8:07:02 AM
Re: Albert Barnes' Notes on the OLD TESTAMENT?
If you can find a quality, authoritative e-text that is unencumbered with copyright or license claims, or you are able to scan one, this would be a good addition.

(By and large, if we don't have it it is because we haven't found such a source.)

If it is encumbered and you can get permission for CrossWire to distribute, that's good too.

The pedigree of the e-text is important. We need to "original". Many times, an e-text is a copy of a copy of a copy..., each with potential changes. Sometimes one of these is encumbered and by implication taints the following.

If you think you have found something worthy, discuss it on the members-only mailing list sword-devel. No sense going to the extra effort if we are able to find out that we can't use it.

Even though we can't use it, you might be able to. We won't provide help on the obtaining of encumbered e-texts. But we can help other wise. Our wiki (http://www.crosswire.org/wiki) has extensive information on how to create modules. If our information is lacking, we'll be glad to improve it.

Posted by Osk at Jun 12, 2008 10:13:37 AM
Actually, it looks like we already have a copy in beta: http://www.crosswire.org/sword/modules/ModDis...ommentaries&beta=true

I don't recall where it came from or when, but it's there. (The date in the .conf is incorrect--I just set that today because it had none.)

Posted by authentic8 at Jun 14, 2013 5:31:25 AM
This is a question I have.

I note the full Notes on the Bible text is still not available from the repository.

A beta copy does not appear to exists on the link given also.

Does anyone know why it was not continued?

Thanks.