mvnForum Homepage

Print at Nov 29, 2014 1:50:45 AM
Posted by aljmc at Dec 2, 2007 8:07:32 PM
Converting eSword to Sword for use in MacSword
I'm a Windows user moving to Mac. I've been using eSword for ages and have an impressive collection of modules, many not publicly available.

I need to convert them to Sword format so I can use them in MacSword.

I've been all over the web and this forum. I've learned that I need to change the file type to MDB, then extract to CSV using MDBView. I've done all this and now have a set of 6 CSV files.

What I can't find is where to go from here. Do I now have OSIS, TmHL, vpl, imp? If I don't have any of these, how do I get to one of the required formats?

Help, please....Al

Posted by eelik at Dec 3, 2007 5:19:41 AM
Re: Converting eSword to Sword for use in MacSword
First you should read our FAQ http://www.crosswire.org/faq. Then you could get some help from the developer wiki if you have not read it already: http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/index.php/DevTools:Modules
----------------------------------------
Read the FAQ! http://www.crosswire.org/faq

Posted by davidbbell at Dec 15, 2007 12:09:29 AM
The files you now have are simply text. If you are working on a Bible, you have a file with one line for every verse in the Bible. The first column has the row number. The second is the number which corresponds to the book. The third, the chapter and the fourth the verse.

What I have done is pull it into a spreadsheet and delete the first column. Actually you could delete all the columns and run the vpl (verse per line) tool. For some reason I had trouble getting that to work, so I deleted the first column and then converted the references from the numeric formula to the traditional form: 1,1,1 becomes Genesis 1:1. I then inserted $$$ before the reference and added a line break after it. The result is a file that is ready for the imp tool.

Hope that helps some!

David
david.bell(at)bluebottle.com

Posted by davidbbell at Dec 15, 2007 12:13:18 AM
By the way, if converting the module is too much, I have tried running e-Sword with Crossover office. It works perfectly. You don't have to install Windows or anything. You can even put it in your dock. You click on it and it launches just like any other program native to OS X. That might be a good option for you if you are used to using e-Sword.

David

Posted by aljmc at Dec 24, 2007 4:24:29 PM
I've purchased VMWare Fusion and thus have the same ability to run eSword. I'm trying to get to a place where I use everything native in Mac.

I've gotten to the point where I've found out what you mean about the VPL tool...it crashes on me.

I then worked with Excel to get to a text file as input to IMP. I'm stumped though, the last task is to get the line break after the scripture reference. I really don't relish the thought of pressing the Enter key 31102 times for each bible. I suspect you found some way to automate this...can you share?

Much thanks, Al

Posted by aljmc at Dec 28, 2007 7:11:48 PM
Forget the last post. I found new capabilities in my Textpad program that allowed me to automate the line feeds.

I've run my file through imp2vs.exe and now have 4 files; NT, OT, NT.VSS, and OT.VSS

I'm confused. I don't see how these files correspond to a Sword module and I can't find anything to tell me what they are or how I get to a module... a *.mod file.

Thanks for all the help, Al

Posted by karl at Dec 29, 2007 6:50:28 AM
I've run my file through imp2vs.exe and now have 4 files; NT, OT, NT.VSS, and OT.VSS
I'm confused. I don't see how these files correspond to a Sword module and I can't find anything to tell me what they are or how I get to a module... a *.mod file.

The 4 files you mention are the usual result of a conversion into basic "raw text" Sword module format. nt and ot are the content, and *.vss are indices into that content. Those 4 files comprise what would go into .../modules/texts/rawtext/YourModuleName/ in your sword module area.

I'm not sure what you expect in the way of "*.mod". The basic converters such as imp2vs and vpl2mod take whatever text you've provided in the "import" (for imp2vs) or "verse per line" (for vpl2mod) file so as to generate those 4 files. They are insensitive to internal markup (ThML, OSIS, ...) and are concerned only with finding appropriate keys (verse references) by which to index content.
----------------------------------------
Project Admin, Xiphos