mvnForum Homepage

Print at Jul 9, 2014 8:13:39 PM View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by rhiamom at Mar 3, 2005 11:12:58 AM
sad   Catholic books?
May I assume that the lack of Catholic bible versions is due to copyright isues? I can't understand why the old Revised Standard version isn't available, unless it's copyright. I know there are copyright issues for the New American Bible, Catholic version.

The Doauy-Rheims is an approved version, but those modules are both somewhat incomplete, and that translation is a bit old. I sure wish the Jerusalem Bible -NOT the New Jerusalem Bible- was available as a Sword module. It's the version I read the most.

Catholic Bible commentary would be good, too. And the works of the early Church Fathers, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas. And The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis to go along with The Practice of the Presence of God.

It's easy to feel discriminated against when there are so many bible versions made into modules...and only one Catholic...and that not even complete...

Posted by Osk at Mar 7, 2005 1:18:18 PM
Re: Catholic books?
The reason for the lack of deuterocanonicals in any of the Bibles is that Sword currently does not support them. We would love for someone (a programmer) to help us work on this and complete some of the work that has been started in this area.

Part of the reason for lack of Catholic resources in general is that there are fewer Catholic resources in English. We have quite a few Catholic resources if one compares all langauges. The other major problem is, as you suggest, that many of the available resources are not distributable because of copyright.

I believe the Jerusalem Bibles, original as well as new, are copyrighted. The NAB certainly is, as you mention. As is the NRSV. We may work somewhat in the area of getting some of these translations on sale--but I can't make any promises about that.

Posted by rhiamom at Mar 24, 2005 9:22:17 PM
The reason for the lack of deuterocanonicals in any of the Bibles is that Sword currently does not support them. We would love for someone (a programmer) to help us work on this and complete some of the work that has been started in this area.

What, specifically, can I do to help? Yes, I am a programmer. I may be of some help, depending on the language being used, etc. I can see where adding two chapters to Daniel and the assorted verse to Esther might be harder than just adding new books...

Posted by Osk at Mar 26, 2005 8:00:37 PM

What, specifically, can I do to help? Yes, I am a programmer. I may be of some help, depending on the language being used, etc. I can see where adding two chapters to Daniel and the assorted verse to Esther might be harder than just adding new books...

Subscribe to sword-devel, inquire about the current state of deuterocanonicals support and about the roadmap for support, and see if you want to work on any of the tasks. Everything is written in C++.

Posted by trimble at May 5, 2006 1:11:40 PM
Just wondering if any progress has been made on the Catholic front? I'm taking classes through the Denver Catholic Biblical School and we're beginning 1 Maccabees this week; which is presenting a problem! :)

Cheers!

Posted by dmsmith at Jun 28, 2006 3:26:24 PM
It is currently being worked on, but it is a ways away. Subscribe to sword-devel and look for v11n discussions (also known as alternate versification) as this how the deutero canon will gain software support.

Posted by Coburn at Sep 12, 2006 5:36:14 PM
What would be really cool is if Sword had a way to open files from, say, ccel.org, in some kind of reader format. That way any pub-dom Xn book online could be loaded. Including the Church classics.

A big pipe dream I have is if the different programs we use to do stuff--like, under Linux, OpenOffice, Firefox, the GIMP, GnomeSword (with its different panes), and AcroRead, plus from Windows, MS Reader, could all use one unified form window. The menus and toolbars would be loaded from libraries (MS dll's ?) based on the type of document opened.

So in one tab you could be reading the Bible in Reader view, while in another you could be looking in a lexicon, and in another, browsing the web.

Bible Software is "not far from the kingdom of God" on this one. It is the only software of those mentioned that uses multiple panes, with multiple file types, that are open at the same time and cross-linked with each other.

Posted by roidonsuarez at Jun 23, 2009 7:56:46 PM
I was using the The Holy Bible v.1.1 which include the catholic Comment and CCB version (christion Community Bible) and comments. Also teh Douay .Reighm Bible work with deutrocanonical books. But when I upgraded to SwordProject v.5.11 deutrocanonical was removed and the CCB version has its old testament verses and chapter totally mixed-up

Why was this changed?