mvnForum Homepage

Print at Dec 26, 2014 8:09:29 PM View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by mysword at Oct 13, 2004 3:38:27 PM
Howto install and share modules for all users
Hi,

Thanks for the wonderful program. This question is about the module installer in BibleTime. I used Debian unstable (modules used to be in /usr/share/sword).

How do I set it up so that all users can share a sword module (eg. a book, a commentary, etc)? Currently, it seems that the module installer insists on putting it into a directory owned by the user. I would like for root to install just one copy, and then every user just point to it and use it (of course this is for non-writable modules). I tried running BT as root and then installing directly into /usr/share/sword. However, when a user opens BT, they don't see the modules there. In fact, the old modules (installed using the old method) are also not visible anymore.

On one particular evening, I uninstalled BT (without uninstalling the modules), then reinstalled again in Debian. When I run it from the command line, it sees all the old modules I had. However, when I run it from the KDE menu, it pops up the module configurator and if I just cancel, I see no modules. Unfortunately, that lasted only one evening. After that, even if I opened BT from command line, the modules are still missing.

In short, what is the correct way of installing the modules using the new modules installer so that all users can use it without having to install the module on their own?

Thanks a lot.

Posted by jansorg at Oct 14, 2004 1:03:59 PM
Re: Howto install and share modules for all users
Hi,
I just tried that myself and found it was easy :)

This is how I did it:
-Open BibleTime (as root!, e.g. with kdesu bibletime) and press F4 to open the Sword setup dialog
-In the Sword-Path section make sure that /usr/share/sword/ is in the list of sword paths
-Then go into the 2nd section (module installation and updates) and choose as target the /usr/share/sword path
-Click on "Connect to source", choose the modules and install them. That worked well on my side.

The module should now be available for users. If not, make sure that /usr/share/sword is available in the Sword-Paths list. This is the list where BibleTime searches for modules and which is also uses to install modules.

I have not yet noticed the problems you mentioned. If they occur again, I'd be glad if you could submit a bugreport.

Joachim

Posted by mysword at Oct 14, 2004 10:14:59 PM
OK ... it works, somewhat. This is what I have discovered so far.

Whenever I am in the directory /mnt/cdrom1 and run BT. It shows all the modules that I have installed as root (using the Install Manager) all right, whether I am root or as a user. However, if I move away from this directory, I cannot see any of the modules (it immediately goes into the module configurator, and when I quit from it, it shows no modules). This happens whether I am root or a normal user.

It seems that it expects that I am in that directory. Thus, when I run BT from the KDE menu, I am not in that directory, and so no module show up. I am suspecting that I was in that directory when I installed the modules (it was quite a while back when I did that), and somehow, that information is stored somewhere, and therefore BT continue to expect that I launch from there.

I am just speculating, of course.

Thank you very much.

Posted by mysword at Oct 14, 2004 10:46:00 PM
Sorry, I didn't investigate carefully enough. Turns out the only place I can't get it to run properly is when I am in my own user home directory. If I cd into any directory and run BT from there, it was ok. But when I am in my user home directory, I cannot see the modules. In fact, when I su to be another user (whether root or another user), I find the same problem. It refused to see the modules whenever I am in that particular directory. Anywhere else, it was OK.

What exactly is the problem with that directory?