mvnForum Homepage

Print at Dec 22, 2014 5:54:09 AM
View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by paroikoi at Jan 3, 2012 12:10:13 PM
how to hide cross-references and notes in pop-up screen/window
Hello,
Thanks for the awesome program! I used to use PalmBible+ for years, and was a part-time developer (very little, actually) on it. I switched from Palm to iOS maybe two years ago, but didn't get my Bibles converted into Sword format till the last couple weeks. Now I've started to use PocketSword more and have run into a potential issue.

Here goes. When reading a Bible with linked (ThML) notes and xrefs (and with them enabled!), clicking on a note or xref link pops-up the lower window showing the note or cross-referenced Bible verse(s). The issue I'm having is that any notes or xrefs within that referenced Bible verse show up in their entirety in the pop-up window. It seems like it would be ideal to have notes and xrefs hidden within that pop-up window, or show up as a plain (unlinked) "x" or "n" in the pop-up window. They do go away in the pop-up window if I disable notes and/or xrefs, but that defeats the point. :-)

Did I do something wrong in my Bible file conversion, or is this a known issue? Better yet, is there some setting I'm missing that will allow notes and xrefs to show in the main window but be hidden in the pop-up window?

Thanks again,
Josh

Posted by karl at Jan 4, 2012 3:48:02 PM
Re: how to hide cross-references and notes in pop-up screen/window
Personally I'm rather fond of the fact that notes/xrefs in the lower pop-up have their own notes/xrefs enabled; this allows me to chase through a string of references if needed. I use this behavior extensively, in fact.

You can always get the original note/xref back by tapping its reference from the main window link.
----------------------------------------
Project Admin, Xiphos

Posted by paroikoi at Jan 11, 2012 7:01:14 PM
Hi Karl,
Thanks for the input. I'm not sure we're both talking about the same thing, though. I like that the referenced verse is linked in the pop-up window. Since it's clickable, one can do just as you said and follow through a chain of references. The text itself, though, needn't have links, I think. I've attached a screenshot of how my pop-up window looks. Any notes or xrefs in the linked passage are just dumped into the pop-up window. They aren't links, just confusion. Couldn't this be improved?

Thanks,
Josh

Posted by paroikoi at Feb 4, 2012 3:26:21 PM
Can someone please tell me if the behavior I'm seeing (shown in my screenshot above) is as expected, or did I format something wrong in my Bible text file?

Thanks.

Posted by JonGl at Feb 5, 2012 8:13:43 AM
I'm guessing, looking at your screen shot, that you have a problem with formatting or tagging somehow. Normal modules I have aren't giving me this (for instance, the ESV I have, is showing these things correctly).

-Jon

Posted by karl at Feb 5, 2012 8:20:09 AM
Sorry, I missed this before and haven't been in the forums lately...

What your screenshot shows is certainly wrong. What module is displayed there?

Having just looked at one of my own ThML modules, I see that a verse with an xref to a verse also containing an xref or footnote is misdisplayed in this way., so it seems the problem is general.

I don't work in PS though I've helped Nic with a number of engine issues as he worked on it. Nic's involvement has changed recently, and I'm not sure how much ongoing support we've got now.
Project Admin, Xiphos

Posted by paroikoi at Feb 5, 2012 2:16:41 PM
Jon,
Thanks for the response.

Karl,
Thanks. I'm glad it's not just me. :-)

The module is one made using your old "hack" scripts, recently updated by me. It is in imp format with ThML mark-up. I can be more forthright offline.

PocketSword can only be compiled on a Mac, right? I might be able to fix the code (slowly), but couldn't recompile it, as I don't have a Mac or even access to one.

Josh

Posted by niccarter at Mar 21, 2012 2:03:23 AM
Sorry I've taken so long to get back to you! It does look interesting and frustrating...

@Karl if you have time, would you be able to email me a summary of what's going wrong? If I can fix it, I'll give it a go. If not, I'll see if I can pass the bug along to someone who can? Right now I can't make any promises about timeframes, but we'll see what we can do. :)

Thanks, ybic
nic... :)
PocketSword Developer
http://twitter.com/PocketSword

Posted by paroikoi at Apr 15, 2012 8:11:01 PM
Thanks, Nic. That would be wonderful if you could fix this sometime!

Josh

Posted by niccarter at Apr 15, 2012 9:48:43 PM
Hi Josh,

With how busy I am right now it may be quicker for you to adapt the script and re-create your module? As this is a bug that affects hacked modules only right now, and not modules that are live in the main repos, it may be a low priority bug?

sorry about that, but when I do have time and the ability I'll attack it :)

Thanks, ybic
nic... :)
PocketSword Developer
http://twitter.com/PocketSword