Re: New Name Voting
Biblia
+2

Posted by joseabrahamcp777 at Aug 30, 2011 3:33:14 PM
I like iSword

Posted by jumpingfrijole at Sep 1, 2011 9:49:16 PM
I would vote for Biblia. I agree about not using "sword" as it would be difficult to have it on my desktop as I work in Central Asia, let alone those who are working in the Middle East. Biblia gives the software a great name that brings an old school feel to a high tech tool. Or another thought is "God's Word". That's what it is right?

Posted by Osk at Sep 2, 2011 1:16:27 AM
Biblia is the name of Logos' web service (cf. biblia.com). I'm sure they've got a trademark on the term, and there's no need to add confusion, so I would stay away from that one.

Posted by mdbergmann at Sep 3, 2011 12:02:49 AM
How can "Biblia" be registered as a trademark.
What I found on their web poage is this:
"Biblia.com and Logos Bible Software are trademarks of Logos Research Systems, Inc."

Manfred

Posted by chasm at Sep 3, 2011 6:14:39 AM
Biblia +1
eStudy (or eStudie) +1
----------------------------------------
<this signature intentionally left blank>

Posted by mdbergmann at Sep 3, 2011 8:32:32 AM
Here is a preliminary result. I'll keep it running for maybe one week:

iSword +6
Biblia +7
Tome
iTome
MyTome +1
eStudie +1
Enchiridion
Sword of the Spirit
WordSower
MyScripture
MyScriptures +2

Manfred

Posted by pndh at Sep 3, 2011 9:44:49 AM
Thank you so much for your ministry, I believe many will come to the Lord through this as the Bible is the best evangelist there is. As a Mac user this is very valuable indeed.
How about iBiblia ?

Posted by ninjaaron at Sep 3, 2011 11:41:37 AM
Please not 'iSomething'

It's so played out. When the iMac came out, it meant "Internet Macintosh," and somehow now it just means "Apple Product." I don't mean this as an attack on anyone who likes the name, but it almost feels like it cheapens the software, which is a little ironic, given that it's a medium for the most valuable thing in the world. If I may, I'd like to set one of my votes against 'iSword.' Maybe that's cheating.

Of the names suggested I prefer 'Biblia'.

It might be nice to go with something a little more descriptive riffing off of "Biblia."

Something like Biblia Phanera, "Open books." Φανερα (phanera) is a really nice word to use here, cause it can mean 'open' as in manifest, but it can also mean 'open' as in public. It's a nice wordplay that really capture what the Sword Project is all about, and it differentiates it from other uses of the word in proprietary contexts, such as biblia.com and Biblia Sacra from the German Bible Society. It also sort of plays with the idea of the "open book" in Revelation, though a different Greek root is there (referring to the physical act of opening).

It's also nice in Hebrew: "Sepher Patuach" (ספר פתוח, lit: 'open book'). In Hebrew, it makes me think more about the reversal of the sealing of the book in Isaiah 29:11-12 (which, of course, is related directly to the image Revelation 10:2+8). Hebrew is also nice because there isn't really any major Bible software with a Hebrew name, and there are already a couple with Greek names (Xiphos, one of MacSword's sisters on Linux, and, of course, Logos)

Posted by lightman at Sep 3, 2011 3:47:28 PM
I think a view of France could be interesting (traduction by Google)

Biblia : too generic term,
Tome : is ridiculous in French
iTome : same
MyTome : same
Enchiridion : a name as complicated and seemingly unrelated to the word "Bible" is the best way
so that the software remains unknown!
WordSower : it does not understand name

If you do not consider my vote, it does not matter but here it is:

Biblia : -1
Tome : -1
iTome : -1
MyTome : -1
Enchiridion : -1
WordSower : -1

Posts: 64   Pages: 7   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page ]