mvnForum Homepage

Print at Dec 22, 2014 3:48:39 PM View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by Gnarlodious at Aug 23, 2011 2:59:31 AM
How do I install modules?
Hello. I am attempting to install modules from a Firewire backup disk. This is OSX 10.7.2. I added the modules to

~/Library/Application\ Support/Sword/mods.d

however only the first one I added shows up. Later adds are not recognized by the app.

I did find a "Module installer" but it doesn't make any sense. Sorry, I am a programmer but this is possibly the most unintuitive application I have ever used. The old version was so much easier. Maybe there is some big fact I am missing to have wasted so much time?

Posted by Gnarlodious at Aug 23, 2011 3:19:44 AM
Re: How do I install modules?
Well, I don't know what I did but while trying to install modules I broke the app. All I get when launching is a crash report. I can't even launch the app to send the crash report to anywhere. This is version 2.4.1.

Posted by JonGl at Aug 23, 2011 5:41:45 AM
Hello. I am attempting to install modules from a Firewire backup disk. This is OSX 10.7.2. I added the modules to

~/Library/Application\ Support/Sword/mods.d

however only the first one I added shows up. Later adds are not recognized by the app.

I did find a "Module installer" but it doesn't make any sense. Sorry, I am a programmer but this is possibly the most unintuitive application I have ever used. The old version was so much easier. Maybe there is some big fact I am missing to have wasted so much time?

There are actually two items you need to install for every Sword module. The first is the configuration file. These files end with a .conf extension, and goes in the mods.d folder you described. All this file does is tell the Project Sword app what kind of file the module is, and where it's located. If you drop the actual modules into this folder, Eloquent won't be able to find the actual module files, because they are in the wrong location.

Also in the Sword folder, you should see another folder, named "Modules". Inside that, you should see another series of folders, for different types of modules--texts, comment, lexdict (and others). You need to drop the actual module files into this hierarchy. However, it's a bit more complicated, because there are different kinds of files within each category. You can read a bit more about how to put the files in their proper places here: http://wiki.catug.org/Eloquent#Technical_stuff_you_can_ignore

But honestly, I would suggest that you simply empty your mods.d folder and Modules folder, and restart Eloquent, and use the Module Installer (found in the Eloquent Menu) to reinstall everything off of the online repositories. I recently did this myself, even though I had everything installed from MacSword. I can be lazy... ;-)

-Jon

Posted by Gnarlodious at Aug 23, 2011 7:50:14 AM
I fiddled around with it for a few hours and got it to work. At least it loads all the modules without crashing. So far so good. The module folders no longer go in the mods.d folder but in the Sword folder. I guess the mods.d folder needs to be in there even though it is empty, because when I trash it the app crashes.

Posted by JonGl at Aug 24, 2011 6:17:21 AM
The module folders no longer go in the mods.d folder but in the Sword folder. I guess the mods.d folder needs to be in there even though it is empty, because when I trash it the app crashes.

Modules never went into the mods.d folder. Only the .conf files do. Modules have always gone in the modules folder. You have always needed both--though in the older MacSword 1.x, you could hide all that using the ".sword" extension on a module's folder, thus converting the folder to a package and hiding all that, but I can easily see where deleting the mods.d folder would cause problems--it's not really empty--or at least it shouldn't be.

-Jon

Posted by mdbergmann at Aug 24, 2011 12:13:47 PM
Well, I don't know what I did but while trying to install modules I broke the app. All I get when launching is a crash report. I can't even launch the app to send the crash report to anywhere. This is version 2.4.1.

The Lion version is still experimental.
If you are a developer you could lend a hand and help improve it.

Manfred