mvnForum Homepage

Print at Oct 31, 2014 1:03:29 PM View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by El_Guero at Aug 21, 2011 11:53:17 AM
How do I install modules?
Brethren,

I am a geek, but trying to install modules for macsword/eloquent is not very eloquent.

Can someone post steps that work?

Yes, there are 'videos,' etc. But, the steps I have seen did NOT work.

I am not going to debug what works and doesn't work - I am new to the mac, and I do not have the knowledge base to debug on the fly like I would in linux/windows.

Thank you and God bless,

Wayne

Posted by El_Guero at Aug 21, 2011 12:04:32 PM
Re: How do I install modules?
Let me add, I installed eloquent 2.4.1/2092

Posted by mdbergmann at Aug 21, 2011 12:48:44 PM
The steps in the video and the information on the wiki pages should actually work.
What exactly does not work?

Manfred

Posted by El_Guero at Aug 22, 2011 7:34:01 PM
OK, your video steps do not work on my environment. My environment is Lion.

Is the software compatible with Lion?

What are the steps within your software? In writing, please.

I need your config file names and paths. For some reason, your software is not recognizing your config files. I downloaded the file for ESV. And no luck with that either.

I keep getting error msgs when I test your files. I tried 2 different downloads, both sets of paths [mods.d and modules], and as many folders and files as I could. When the error msg said your esv.conf file was not valid, I kinda got tired ....

Thank you.

wayne

Posted by JonGl at Aug 22, 2011 11:23:18 PM
Wayne-

In Eloquent, go to the Eloquent menu, and choose "Module Installer..." This is the route you should go if you are used to Windows and Linux (though, honestly, the file structure for Sword modules is the same regardless). It will download and put everything right where you want it to be with minimum fuss.

After you open the Module Installer Window, click on "Sync Install Sources" to make sure everything is up to date, then have at it. There should be a couple sources all ready there.

Posted by El_Guero at Aug 23, 2011 6:21:59 AM
That will not work unless I allow external access.

That is not safe anywhere in the world, and certainly not where I am going.

Posted by JonGl at Aug 24, 2011 6:13:00 AM
That will not work unless I allow external access.

That is not safe anywhere in the world, and certainly not where I am going.

Um.... where are you getting the modules then? and how are you communicating on this forum? If you are willing to download off the web, or communicate here, then using the repos will pose no greater problem than either of these two activities--use the repo in Eloquent while you can, before you go where you are going.

As to a manual install, folder locations are specific, but straightforward enough, especially if, as you said, you are used to Windows and Linux. Eloquent was "retrograded" in version 2 to use the same files, and put those files in essentially the same place as the Windows and Linux software does, with one exception--rather than using a hidden ~/.sword/ directory (in Linux) or putting the files in /usr/local somewhere, they are in the standard Apple-sanctioned location: ~/Library/Application Support/ (you will need to add a "\ " if you want to enter that into the command line.)

Now, the trick in Lion is this, Apple, in its greater wisdom, has hidden the user's Library folder! To access it in the Finder, go to the Finder, and hold down the Option key, and click on the "Go" menu. When you do, you should see "Library" about half-way down the list. You can optionally click and hold on the menu, and then press the Option key, and you will see Library suddenly appear (helps in finding the item).

Once you choose that, find the Application Support folder, inside of which, you should see a "Sword" folder. Inside there, should be two folders a "mods.d" and a "modules" folder. All the files that end in ".conf" go into the mods.d folder, and the actual modules go into the modules folder. Of course, since there are several kinds of modules, there is a sub-folder hierarchy that must be obeyed, as the .conf files' function is to point to these places. Bible texts go into a folder named "texts", commentaries into one named "commentary" and dictionaries into "lexdict" and general into "general". I think there are others, but I can't remember their names at the moment. the good part is that when you unzip a downloaded file, the hierarchy is reproduced in the zip, so it should be easy--remembering, of course, that dropping folders will likely result in an overwrite of what was there--Lion may ask if you want to merge, but this is a feature I haven't tried yet, so I wouldn't want to test it just yet. ;-)

I should also point out that within each category (text, commentaries, etc.) there are also different module types or formats--raw, zip, etc. Each of those also gets its own subdirectory, and you need to make sure the files go in their correct locations in this regard also.

So, have fun with this Windows-way of doing things, but honestly, if you can at all use the module installer--if only to get yourself started, this is a much simpler way to go about things. ;-)

-Jon