mvnForum Homepage

Print at Apr 26, 2015 10:46:01 PM View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by gto49 at Jun 13, 2011 10:56:04 PM
shock   Searching?
I'm new to Eloquent, and I've figured out how to install various modules (Bibles, Commentaries, etc.) but I can't figure out for the life of me how to search. Where do you enter the search criteria, words or phrases? I can pull up a chapter (e.g. Gen 1) but I want to search the OT or NT for a phrase contained in a verse... trying for over an hour and its driving me nuts!

I'm better off using one of the web sites where it's fairly intuitive. Eloquent is NOT. And there are no clear instructions on how to do this... only a statement that a person can do it... which is no help at all.

Just about ready to uninstall the whole works.

Posted by gto49 at Jun 13, 2011 11:05:04 PM
Re: Searching?
Well, that's just weird... I tried and tried to search on the word "love" and each time I get "0 verses". So I posted the above. Then I go back and try again, and THIS time, it worked.

Go figure... now I feel dumb.

Posted by mdbergmann at Jun 14, 2011 3:51:26 AM
Hi.

I assume you switched to indexed search mode before you entered the word?
If you enter a search work in reference search mode then the search will probably find nothing.
There are two search modes, reference and index search mode. You switch between the two via the segmented button in the top toolbar.

The content of right sidebar changes depending on in which search mode you are. If in indexed search mode you can set ranges for your search, e.g. only in NT or only in Letters.
When in reference searxh mode the right sidebar shows the list of books and chapters in the works.
You can either choose a chapter there or, which is the prefered way, just enter a reference in the textbox in the toolbar, like gen 1.1.

Manfred

Posted by JonGl at Jun 14, 2011 10:44:06 PM
Well, that's just weird... I tried and tried to search on the word "love" and each time I get "0 verses". So I posted the above. Then I go back and try again, and THIS time, it worked.

Go figure... now I feel dumb.

Next to the field where you type in references and search phrases, on the left, is a double button. If the left side is pressed (little horizontal lines), you are in the Scripture reference mode, where you enter references. But if you click on the little magnifying glass, you change the search mode to indexed search mode, which Manfred described, which allows you to search for terms found within the Bible or whatever modules you have open in the window below. HTH

-Jon

Posted by mountainsr4climbing at Sep 13, 2011 2:24:41 PM
sad   Re: Searching?
Use the button to the left of the search line to switch between reference mode (entering Bible texts) and search mode (entering keywords).

It think it's silly, especially as we're all getting used to integrated searches - why not just have the engine recognize whether it's a reference or not, and search/look up the reference accordingly? I don't know, but for now, the button is the key...