mvnForum Homepage

Print at Nov 26, 2014 7:55:42 PM
View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by mdbergmann at Jan 16, 2011 10:14:57 AM
MacSword rename
Hi.

MacSword will get renamed to "Eloquent" in the next release (2.3).
There are more reasons but one of the main one is that Apple doesn't allow a name containing "Mac" in the AppStore.

The most urgent graphics need would be for the macsword.com home page.
Anyone good at graphics?

Manfred

Posted by JonGl at Jan 16, 2011 12:03:18 PM
Re: MacSword rename
I'm not sure I like the idea of MS being in the App store. Will it be still be able to make use of the sword:// url scheme? How about the comand-f-key sequence? (not, I think, that it's working at the moment) I can probably live without the fkey, but the sword:// url is a lifeline for me. :-) Thanks for listening.

-Jon

Posted by mdbergmann at Jan 16, 2011 12:22:03 PM
Apple didn't list any of those reasons. So I guess they are not a problem.

There will be only one change. That is the version for the AppStore will not use Sparkle updater but the AppStore automatic updater.

Manfred

Posted by chasm at Jan 16, 2011 6:56:56 PM
By that, do you mean eye candy for macsword dot com, or a flashy new icon and screenshots for the App Store?
----------------------------------------
<this signature intentionally left blank>

Posted by mdbergmann at Jan 17, 2011 12:32:05 PM
Eventually all of it. :)
But for now a new symbol/icon for the web page would be enough.
There will be a new domain as well.

Manfred

Posted by JonGl at Jan 17, 2011 1:50:19 PM
Apple didn't list any of those reasons. So I guess they are not a problem.

There will be only one change. That is the version for the AppStore will not use Sparkle updater but the AppStore automatic updater.

Well, that'll be a relief. :-)

-Jon

Posted by undercover at Jan 20, 2011 6:37:17 PM
What about something like this:
http://dagyo.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/eloquent.png

Posted by mdbergmann at Jan 21, 2011 1:59:20 PM

That's actually not bad. I'm wondering how it looks as app icon.
Have to try.

Manfred

Posted by undercover at Jan 23, 2011 6:19:49 PM
Just copy paste it over the current icon to try it out. I just mocked it up using Pixelmator, if you want anything more fancy I'll go use photoshop at work. Any changes? Colors/concepts? I'm not a real designer but I can do basic stuff like this.

Posted by JonGl at Jan 24, 2011 12:27:07 AM
Just copy paste it over the current icon to try it out. I just mocked it up using Pixelmator, if you want anything more fancy I'll go use photoshop at work. Any changes? Colors/concepts? I'm not a real designer but I can do basic stuff like this.

I just had to try it! ;) It looks gorgeous, IMO, and I particularly love the sword. But it seems that you might want to change a couple. I'm looking at when the icon is fairly small (like in the Finder or on a crowded Dock). The contrast could maybe be a bit greater (so the "E" stands out a bit more), and the wonderful litle sword.... well, it's just that--little--maybe too little. At least I can't really see it on the Dock. In fact, right now, on my Dock, it looks like an accent "accute" (like in "fiancé").

Again, I don't want to sound like I'm complaining! If this icon were used as it is, I'd be happy, but if you are like me, you want to make things as perfect as you can, so I thought I'd share my thoughts. But honestly, as a user, I like this design. :)

-Jon