mvnForum Homepage

Print at Nov 21, 2014 12:20:17 PM View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by LonHaz at Jan 11, 2011 7:48:10 AM
Text Not Working
I am very much a novice for using computers and do not know computer terms but I am learning. I have MacSword 1 on my Leopard and have enjoyed it for three years with no problems.

Then I saw MacSword 2 and tried to install it. The first time I just entered the KJV Module only and it worked for 5 minutes and then I went to preferences to change it's color and font and came back to see looks and all I saw was beach ball (learned that on your forum) it kept spinning and spinning. I could not get it working again so I trashed it and then went back to web sight and downloaded MacSword 2 again.

The second time I downloaded KJV with six other Modules (I learned how to do that by watching video on that installation) All modules worked except the KJV again (it is just blank) I played with it for hours deleting files and still no change just spinning beach ball or sometimes no beachball but still all others worked.

I also went to preferences to make sure colors were correct or font and I was surprised to see my settings from the Last download I had trashed. How can this be?

To make along story short I trashed and downloaded trashed and downloaded several times now with all the same results ... no texts for KJV just blank sometimes spinning beach ball sometimes not and my font and color settings still the same even after I have trashed everything.

Please HELP I can't afford any more black hair to turn white!!! As of now I am using MacSword 1.4.4 again and trashed MacSword 2. But I would like to get the new one. I use MacSword everyday! Please remember I am a very novice, most of the forums I read for answers to solutions are way over my head. Also this is first I have ever used a forum. Sorry this is so long! Could somebody help?

Thank You!

~LonHaz

Posted by mdbergmann at Jan 11, 2011 8:35:22 AM
Re: Text Not Working
Hi.

It would be good to add a new line or add some paragraphs when you write text. It is quite hard to read.

Anyhow. The settings are kept in preferences folder of your home folder. It doesn't matter if you trash the application itself because the settings are loaded from a separate preferences file. The same is true for MacSword1 btw.

So you are saying that the KJV module works in MacSword1 but not in MacSword2?
You can try to remove the KJV module and re-install it using the module installer.
If you say that other modules do work I suspect the module corrupted from download.

Manfred

Posted by LonHaz at Jan 11, 2011 8:49:08 PM
Hi.

It would be good to add a new line or add some paragraphs when you write text. It is quite hard to read.

LonHaz Response : Okay thank you - First time using forum.

So you are saying that the KJV module works in MacSword1 but not in MacSword2?

LonHaz Answer : Yes (I have never had any problems with MacSword1)

You can try to remove the KJV module and re-install it using the module installer.

LonHaz Answer : Yes we (my son and I) tried that.

If you say that other modules do work I suspect the module corrupted from download.

LonHaz Question : Okay if it is then what? I have downloaded several times ... so does that mean it is corrupt every time?

Thank You for your reply !
~LonHaz

Manfred

Posted by JonGl at Jan 12, 2011 2:19:31 AM
My suspicion is that it is your preferences that are messed up. Since your version 1 of MacSword seems to be working, I'm betting it's not that.

This is where I have a problem. There are two files that I find, and I can't figure out which is for MacSword 1.x and which for MacSword 2. But I think we can figure that out while we go here. :)

First thing to do is to find these files. You want to go to your Home folder, and then, inside there, find the "Library" folder. Inside that, you will find another folder, named "Preferences". It is in this folder where you will (or at least I hope you will) find two files. One should be named "MacSword.plist" (which I'm guessing is the preferences file for MacSword 1), and the second, which should be named "org.crosswire.MacSword.plist" I'm guessing this is the one for MacSword 2, simply because it follows the standard for preference files, and I believe that Manfred is working hard to follow these things. :)

The next thing you want to do, since I forgot to say it already, is to quit all running copies of MacSword.

After that, you want to do is to take that second preference file, named org.crosswire.MacSword.plist, and drag it out of the Preferences folder. The "safest" place, IMO, is the trash can. Now, don't empty the Trash (or wastebasket) just yet.

Next, relaunch MacSword, and see if you can now see the KJV text. If so, problem solved, if not, then we need to do some more digging. Also, if not, we can discuss putting your deleted plist file back, but honestly, I suggest keeping it in the trash, and starting afresh.

-Jon

Posted by LonHaz at Jan 12, 2011 8:20:45 AM
Praise the Lord!!! Thank you very much Jon and Manfred !! It worked!

We had went to home folder - Library - Preferences - and found both folders. We deleted both folders and also anything connected to MacSword.

We downloaded a new MacSword 2. with Kjv and 5 other modules and they all worked and created indexes. smile smile smile

LonHaz and my son.

Posted by mdbergmann at Jan 13, 2011 2:05:08 AM
I'm happy that it is working now.

Thank you JonGI.

Manfred