mvnForum Homepage

Posted by Julian at Jan 22, 2005 9:25:36 PM
Re: Is Sword for Windows Dead?
Actually, Wxwidgets doesn't use "generic widgets" but is rather a wrapper to each OS's native widgets. Therefore, something developed using Wxwidgets will use native Windoze widgets when run on Windows, native OSX widgets when run on Mac & native Gnome widgets when run on Linux. As it states on the WxWidgets page:
wxWidgets defines a common API across platforms, but uses the native graphical user interface (GUI) on each platform, so your program will take on the native 'look and feel' that users are familiar with.

Where a specific widget is supported on one platform but not another then it emulates the native widget's look & feel. Also, because WxWidgets uses native widgets, they run faster with less object bloat than other cross-platform tools such as GTK+ or QT. Windoze users would feel right at home using a Wxwidgets app. The only question really is whether Wxwidgets is robust enough to perform the kind of layouts that Sword for Windoze does - namely, multi-row tabs, on-the-fly resizing of sub-windows, help pop-ups, etc. Having just started with Wxwidgets myself via WxPython, I can't really give an answer to those questions yet. The app I'm developing is more static in its display than Sword needs to be. . .