mvnForum Homepage

Posted by Goduser at Oct 1, 2004 10:07:08 AM
How to install BibleTime in Mandrake 10 (Beginners)
Mandrake is a user-friendly distribution which is good for beginners. Unfortunately it's often too difficult for beginners even to install a program! I learned Linux about half a year ago, so I know it's not easy. I have therefore decided to help those who struggle with the installation of BibleTime.

This is for the beginner. Tested with Mandrake 10.1.

1.) Open Konsole
Press [Alt-F2] and type 'konsole'. Press [enter].

2.) Add RPM media mirrors
In Konsole, type 'su' to go root.

Next, type in these three entries:
urpmi.addmedia main ftp://ftp.cise.ufl.edu/pub/mirrors/mandrake/M...community/i586/media/main with media_info/hdlist.cz 
urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.cise.ufl.edu/pub/mirrors/mandrake/M...munity/i586/media/contrib with media_info/hdlist.cz
urpmi.addmedia jpackage ftp://ftp.cise.ufl.edu/pub/mirrors/mandrake/M...unity/i586/media/jpackage with media_info/hdlist.cz

And wait a few minutes until downloading is finished. These are american mirrors. You can set up your own if you live in Europe (like I do) or somewhere else, with this page:

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

In fact, these were created at easyurpmi. If you previously have set up those FTPs, read step three.

3.) Download BibleTime
Type 'urpmi bibletime' in Konsole, then follow the instructions.
To satisfy dependencies, the following packages are going to be installed (3 MB):
bibletime-1.4.1-3mdk.i586
libsword4-1.5.7a-1mdk.i586
sword-1.5.7a-1mdk.i586
Is it OK? (Y/n)

Type 'Y' to confirm to download BibleTime plus the necessary sword libraries and (perhaps) other dependencies, like curl. There should not be any problem. If there are conflicts, then you might ask someone for help.

Close Konsole.
An easier approach rather than using Konsole for this update procedure, would be to open the run-dialog and run 'drakconf'. When the Mandrake Control Center is up and running you may open the RPM media management database, and add the FTP mirrors manually. (But it's easier to explain the installation process with command line.) To remove erroneous mirrors I recommend using the same Mandrake Control Center, rather than Konsole. You most probably want to add/exchange the FTPs sometime later.

4.) Run BibleTime
Now that BibleTime is installed, search for BibleTime in the start menu, in "More Programs" > "Editors". Run it.

Or, of course, you can enter 'bibletime' in the run dialog.

5.) Download Bible modules
If everything goes correctly, the "Install/Update modules" dialog will appear on screen.

Just click "Connect to source".

Select the Bibles, commentaries and lexicons you would want. I personally would recommend the following below. When you're done, press "OK".