mvnForum Homepage

Posted by Osk at Sep 21, 2011 6:23:54 AM
Re: New Name Voting
It seems like my warning against choosing "Biblia" is going ignored. I need to very seriously warn you against using "Biblia" as a name for Bible software.

Manfred, as you have observed, Logos has a registered trademark on "Biblia.com". Trademarks protect companies with particular marks (e.g. words/names, illustrations, and phrases) from attempts by 3rd parties to use identical or similar marks within the same trade. Logos is very obviously within the same trade, and is even within the same very narrowly described "Bible software" trade.

I don't see how there could be any question that changing the name of Eloquent to Biblia would constitute trademark infringement, and willful infringement at that, since you're aware of Logos' trademark. Were they to choose to do so, Logos would have an easy time of compelling you to change the name yet again to something else (and could also certainly seek monetary damages and/or attorney's fees).

Ignoring trademarks altogether, what is the benefit of using a name that is already in use for a different product? People searching for your software will likely go to Biblia.com instead. There would be no hope of ever getting the domain name Biblia.com. It's doubtful your website would be one of the top results for a google search soon, if ever.