mvnForum Homepage

Posted by mdbergmann at Aug 15, 2011 12:56:39 AM
Re: Name complaints

My thinking, which I guess I presumed people would think, is that the Sword Project, being the technology which makes all this possible, sometimes gets left behind, and people don't realize the wealth of resources behind the software. A direct link in the name, it would seem to me, would be direct link to the hard work of the people on the Sword project. I know that the original "MacSword" name was vital in my hooking into the rest of the Sword Project.

A direct link in the name would be a direct connection to the Sword Project, and that would be a good thing. But there are a few problems.
I would think that if the Sword Project is listed as first item in the About dialog and on the web page it should be possible to make the connection.

As to wrong impressions... well, anybody searching for Bible software is going to understand that part of it. Scriptures are the Sword of the Spirit. God chose that name. Why be ashamed of it because somebody chooses to get offended? A person who's going to choose to get offended over the word "sword" is going to find something else to get offended by, if not that word. God's Word itself is offensive to people today--not because it's so bad, but because people are bad. If we retreat from names that God Himself has given to His word, those people have already won, because we have retreated. (The word "Bible" offends people, I've discovered, as does "Holy Scriptures"--and especially the word "Christian" offends people. Where do we stop?)

You're absolutely right.
However, I didn't actually mean that somebody might get offended but to hinder someone from using this utility and from reading the bible. Some might connect the "Sword" with the crusades or whatever they don't like about Christianity.
I don't want the word "Sword" to be a barrier for people that don't know the meaning as God uses it in the bible for the Sword of the Spirit.

Manfred