mvnForum Homepage

Posted by JonGl at Apr 30, 2011 12:41:06 AM
Re: Auto-Index?
I could not figure out how to use he above command line in Snow Leopard 10.6. I installed Eloquent over MacSword and just let the installer put it where it wanted.

You need to use the Terminal.app to use the command line. It's not too hard.

First, look for a folder named "utilities" inside your Mac's Application folder. Inside that folder is an application, named Terminal. Launch that.

Now, copy the command from here:
defaults write org.crosswire.MacSword DefaultsBackgroundIndexerEnabled yes

and paste that command into the window in the Terminal app. After you paste, you probably will have to hit return to execute the command.

You can test to see if it "took" by pasting the following command:
defaults read org.crosswire.MacSword DefaultsBackgroundIndexerEnabled

If, after hitting Return, you see "yes", it took. If you see a zero or "no" then it didn't. Try again, but if you do it correctly, it should work.

A couple hints. The command line typically shows some text that identifies your computer, and shows the name of your computer, and your short username, and then ends with the dollar sign. Here's what mine looks like:

Jons-MBP:~ jonglass$

When you execute a command, the line you typed in should clear, and you should see a clean line like what I showed above, ending in the dollar sign. When you use the "defaults read..." command, above that command line, you will see a word or a number. You should see that word "yes" and you'll be good to go.

Once done, quit and relaunch Eloquent (if it wasn't quit before--and, in fact, it's better to quit Eloquent before doing this.

And you should have your background indexing working. Just for the record, and I don't think it's a problem today, but when 2.0 came out, the background indexing took a lot of computer processor time to work, and could slow your computer down. I think, though, that Manfred fixed that. Ironically, while writing this post, I discovered that I had auto-indexing off (I believe I turned it off ages ago), so I turned it back on myself. ;-)

Well, I hope this helps.

-Jon