mvnForum Homepage

Posted by jonmmorgan at Nov 1, 2010 11:49:21 PM
Re: Contacting about NIV and NKJV amongst others...
Just FYI, the response from IBS to a request was:

Our policy at this time does not allow us to release the NIV database to individuals or for use in Linux based, open source or shareware software products; therefore IBS-STL will not be granting your request for use of the NIV.

The response to a request about the RSV/NRSV was:

We appreciate your interest in making the RSV/NRSV available as modules for the Sword Project. However, at this time, we do not authorize any open source uses of the RSV/NRSV. God's blessings on your ministry.

They were probably both a year or two ago, but I don't think it's likely to change much. I know several attempts to contact Thomas Nelson about the NKJV were met with no response as well.

As to the original question, e-Sword and the SWORD Project (including MacSword) are not related in any way (except presumably for the belief that the Sword of the Spirit is the word of God). I understand that the SWORD Project was first to use the name, but e-Sword is considerably more well-known and popular.

As e-Sword is not open source, the reasons given for rejecting the application for the Sword Project do not apply to it.