mvnForum Homepage

Posted by karl at Aug 27, 2010 9:45:45 AM
Re: 5 years and it still won't compile.
From the hostility this issue seems to get and the initial review I've done of the Modules format I suspect there is another motivation behind the module formats lack of documentation. It appears that the security of the modules is wrapped around the ability to decompress the data

I just glazed over much of this, but this paragraph caught my eye.

You're imputing evil motives where none exist. That's rather improper. The only area where there is a security issue is in the case of locked modules, and the password-handling code is really pretty clear if you look around just a little. Otherwise, any of the modules can be dumped with e.g. "mod2imp KJV" and you can see the full content as perceived by Sword tools. By design, the module format has no security except for locked (password-protected) modules.

There is a lack of documentation in many areas. I've been around Sword for almost 5 years now and I've just gotten used to the idea that many things one needs to learn simply have to be gained by crawling through code or asking the right questions in the IRC channels. (Freenode, #sword.) No one is hiding anything from you, and rather a lot of us build Sword software as a matter of routine. I live mostly in the land of Linux, and the build tools there are second nature to me, so I just do it. I have no concern for module format as such because for my purposes it's an abstract concept that I handle from arm's length, other than for producing texts that the command line tools can convert properly to the needed format, and that too long ago became second nature to me.

In all seriousness, just keep looking around. People work with this code all the time. You're not the first and you won't be the last to walk up to it, or to find difficulty with it, or (eventually) to figure out how to work with it.

In Linux, building Sword tools consists in its entirety of this:
- unpack the tarball or check out a copy from SVN.
- ./autogen.sh
- change a few options in usrinst.sh if needed
- ./usrinst.sh
- make -j6 && sudo 'make -j6 install'

Compiles fine for me, every time except when some major new development is underway, and we developers get used to that sort of interruption and instability.
----------------------------------------
Project Admin, Xiphos