mvnForum Homepage

Posted by chasm at Feb 15, 2010 2:01:08 PM
Feature request: Simplify the Bookmark System
Okay, so is this how the bookmarks work?

Step 1: Click "Add Bookmark"
Step 2: Type bookmark name (optional)
Step 3: Type bookmark reference
Step 4: Decide whether to have a (optional) highlighter color
Step 5: Define Foreground (text) color
Step 6: Define Background (highlight) color
Step 7: Click OK

----

Seven steps? It can't be simpler? In other Bible apps I've used (primarily on iPod), it's a simpler procedure:

Step 1: Select passage
Step 2: Click "Add Bookmark"
Step 3: Name Bookmark (optional)
Step 4: Choose from a predefined set of highlighter colors
Step 5: Click OK

---

At first glance, not that much more efficient (only two steps shorter, right?). Currently in MacSword, however, it is necessary to type the reference in. Why should I have to do that, when I've already selected the passage I want to highlight? (as an example, if I select John 1:3 and click "Add Bookmark", The Reference field displays the entire passage, not just John 1:3. I thus have to type John 1:3 when I've already selected it with intent of bookmarking it) It really should be as easy as selecting the text, right-clicking it, and selecting to bookmark it. In fact, it could be simplified further...

Step 1: Select passage to bookmark
Step 2: Right-Click text
Step 3: Choose a highlighter color from the contextual menu (something like Labels in Finder)

Now, that was 3 steps! Right away, I just highlighted a passage I want to bookmark, and its reference would appear in the sidebar. For those who don't like right-clicking, the plus-sign "Add Bookmark" button could be changed into a "Highlight Passage" button with a pull-down menu displaying the highlighter options.

To make this system fit the needs of users, you could add an option in the preferences to define the colors and their names. The names of the colors would be used for categorizing the bookmarks. For example... Verses with yellow highlights are from personal devotions, while the blue ones are the ones I'm using in my Bible class, while the green ones are simply my favorite Bible verses, the pink ones are the passages used in that Bible Study I go to... etc.

With a system like this, choosing the highlight color in the contextual menu would automatically place the bookmark in the appropriate folder in the sidebar... Bookmarks I highlight with yellow automatically appear in "Bookmarks > Personal Devotions" in the sidebar, etc.
----------------------------------------
<this signature intentionally left blank>